Sr. Guadalupe's Dominican Mission Sisters Collection
The collection houses materials from Sister Mary Guadalupe's trip to Peru in South America. Materials include a scrapbook, newsletters, correspondences, a short memoir, and photographs dating from 1960 to 2003. There are four Veritas newsletters written by the Dominican Mission Sisters spanning from 1960 to 1963. The memoir was written by Sister Anton Plass, OP in July of 2003. Scrapbook is dated from approximately 1963-1971, and includes photographs from Sr. Guadalupe's travels around Peru. Photographs are in color and black and white. They include students and other sisters at the schools during Sr. Guadalupe's trip to parts of Peru.
- 1960 - 2003
- Majority of material found within 1962 - 1964
Biographical / Historical
Sister Mary Guadalupe, OP started her religious journey with the Dominican Mission Sisters when she was 39. Born Marjorie Bollweg, she worked in Houston and obtained a Certified Professional Secretary certificate at the University of Houston in 1956. After meeting a Dominican priest in Houston, she began actively volunteering at her church and decided to permanently join the convent soon after. Sr. Guadalupe moved to Chicago and joined the Dominican Mission Sisters on October 11, 1959.
The Dominican Missions Sisters was founded in 1955 in Chicago. The purpose of the Dominican Mission Sisters was to provide services of the Church in foreign and domestic areas. Since admittance into the Dominican Sisters was open to any Catholic woman between 18 to 40 and to widows with specific requirements, Sr. Guadalupe was eligible. The Sisters spent most of their time internationally in places like Chile, Ecuador, and Peru. Sr. Guadalupe was sent to perform missionary work in Trujillo, Peru and arrived on October 26, 1961, at the Escuela Santa Maria, a boys school. Sr. Mary Guadalupe taught them English, discipline, and religious classes. She also travelled to a convent in Quito, Ecuador and was a religious teacher at the Hacienda Casa Grande, Peru, a large sugar plantation near Trujillo. A short memoir by Sister Anton Plass, OP is included in the collection, chronicling her time at the Hacienda Casa Grande from 1963 to 1965. The community in Peru was disbanded in 1967 by order of Cardinal Cody due to lack of personnel and money. Following the dissolution, Sr. Guadalupe, OP stayed with the Kenosha Dominicans one and a half years, then transferred to the Houston Dominicans in September of 1968.
.209 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Some materials in good condition are the newsletters, correspondences, memoir, and photographs. The leather scrapbook includes cracks and paper tears. Photographs falling from scrapbooks pages is evident as well as pen marks.
- Dominican Mission Sisters Subject Source: Local sources
- Dominican periodicals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dominican sisters Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dominicans -- Missions Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Illinois -- Chicago Subject Source: Local sources
- Lima (Peru) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Memoir Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Peru Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Trujillo (La Libertad, Peru) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sr. Guadalupe's Dominican Mission Sisters Collection
- Dalia Mills
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- First Edition